It's time for another edition of my Fall Capsule Wardrobe Remix! For those of you new to the remix, I have been linking-up with Caitlin at Greater Than Rubies to showcase how I'm using 20 items of clothing already in my closet to create 30 fall-friendly looks! Caitlin and some other fashionable ladies have already completed the challenge. I'm a little behind (sometimes time just flies, ya know?!) but I'm especially enjoying the remix now that the weather is seasonally appropriate.
One of the absolute easiest ways to change-up the look of your wardrobe basics is to add a scarf! Not to mention scarves are particularly appealing when the temperatures drop. As simple as it is to throw one on, sometimes the world of scarves can seem a bit overwhelming. There are just so many cute ones out there! How do you know which to choose and with what to wear it? When purchasing a new scarf, I try to keep several factors in mind in order to build a varied collection. I think about:
- Texture: I try to incorporate thick, chunky scarves as well as light, airy scarves that work in different temperatures and with different outfits.
- Color: In my opinion, buying scarves that are always in the same color scheme will limit your options. Branch out! Having lots of different color options will open-up your closet to more possibilities. (Scarves are also a less expensive way to experiment with colors you might not typically wear.)
- Pattern: Patterned scarves add interesting detail to an outfit but sometimes a plain colored scarf adds that pop that your ensemble needs.
- Detail: Scarves with lace, fringe and other details also add variety to your look.
In keeping these four ideas in mind, I think I have a varied collection of scarves that allow me to dress-up the basics without too much thought. Did I miss anything? What do you look for when buying scarves?
Even though this post is about scarf variety, for some reason this is the only scarf I've wanted to wear lately. It is warm and cozy while still having a cute little neutral print at the bottom. I bought it while on vacation in Northern Michigan so it also holds sentimental value. Stay tuned for more outfits featuring this scarf!
I receive this scarf as a birthday present and I have gotten SO much wear out of it! Never underestimate the power of a pretty floral scarf! I love this one because the flowers make it fun for spring and summer but the colors also lend themselves well to fall!
As a Michigan State Spartan, I have a slight problem with this color combination (our biggest rival's colors are maize and blue). I get over it by telling myself that this outfit is, in fact, mustard and navy. Right?
Again with the neutrals! All-neutral ensembles are hot this fall and I'm having some fun with this neutral pattern mixing!
Check-out my previously remixed fall ensembles!
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe: Skirt Edition
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe: Go Green Edition
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe: Dress Edition
What I'm Wearing:
- Chambray Shirt: Old Navy (similar, similar)
- Leggings: Old Navy (exact)
- Grey/Navy Scarf: Vacation Souvenir (similar, similar)
- Ugg Boots: Gift (exact)
- Pink Top: Gap Outlet (similar, similar)
- Jeans: Zara (exact) <-- I think these are the same...I bought mine forever ago.
- Floral Scarf: Gift/Target (similar, similar)
- Green Flats: Old Navy (exact)
- Mustard Sweater: Banana Republic (similar, similar)
- Jeans: Zara (see above)
- Navy Scarf: Gap (similar, similar)
- Booties: Target (exact)
I'm also linking-up with Lauren at Style Elixir for Style Sessions!