Jun 8, 2014

All Things French


I've mentioned before that I am a high school French teacher.  At this point, I've spent more than half of my life learning and teaching the French language and la culture française.  What started as a choice in 8th grade classes has become a lifelong love of mine.  I have traveled to France five times, including a study abroad trip and school year teaching English in Bordeaux.  When I'm not in France, part of me will always long to be there!

Along with the love of a beautiful country and its culture, my passion has also found me wanting to buy every single shirt, necklace and tchotchke sporting the Eiffel Tower or other French-related things.  Having already purchased a significant number of these items, I now have to stop myself and ask a couple of very important questions: "Do I need this?" and "Is this cool Eiffel Tower or cheesy Eiffel Tower?" (because there is a difference, mes amis).

I own several graphic t-shirts featuring French phrases, including this "Bisous" tee.  And now for your French lesson of the day: "bisous" means "kisses" en français!


I loved mixing the grey stripes of this tee with the printed polka dots of the skirt!  One handy trick to fail-proof pattern mixing is to keep your patterns in the same color scheme...like I did with grey!  Très chic, non?

And if you love French tees as much as I do, take a look at all of the lovely ones I've found below.  If you happened to send one of these to your favorite blogging French teacher, she would send you a great big "merci" right back!  (Click on the image to be taken to the store.)






What I'm Wearing:
Tee: Banana Republic (see above for similar)
Skirt: LOFT (similar)
Sandals: DSW (similar, similar)

Linking-Up:
DC in Style- Monday Bloom
Elegance and Mommyhood- Skirts Link-Up
Fizz and Frosting- Mix It Mondays
Greater Than Rubies- Remix Rewear Restyle: Patterned Bottoms
The Modern Austen- Sunday Best
Perspective- What I Wore to Church
Style Elixir- Style Sessions
Bookmark and Share

31 comments:

  1. These tees are great! I definitely agree that there's a big difference between cool vs. cheesy French! I think you hit the nail on the head. This is a really cute outfit that looks really comfortable but put-together. Thanks for linking up to Sunday Best! And I WILL be replying to your email soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marissa! It was a really comfortable outfit, as always when you have a skirt with an elastic waistband :) Thanks for hosting such a fun link-up! I'm looking forward to many more!

      Delete
  2. Adorable! These options you shared are so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inge! I can't help but want them all!

      Delete
  3. Great pattern mix! Both my daughter and I love Paris themed stuff - me because of Audrey Hepburn's movies, her because of Gaspard and Lisa on Disney, Jr.
    Yay for skater skirts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Audrey Hepburn, my ultimate style icon!

      Delete
    2. I highly recommend Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo. It's a picture book biography full of gorgeous illustrations:
      https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9303006-just-being-audrey

      Hmm, I might've just given myself a T3 idea!

      Delete
    3. I just added it to my Goodreads "To Read" list! Thanks for the recommendation! And I think we should have a "everyone dress like Audrey" T3 :)

      Delete
    4. We could certainly do biographies for T3. :) You should suggest the dress like Audrey idea to Caitlin for RRR!

      Delete
    5. YES! Great idea! I'm heading over to suggest it now (I'm gonna throw your name in there, too).

      Delete
  4. Some things just seem French, like stripes in black and white. Love these tees to go with!
    Marie @ In Our Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I always feel I'm dressing the part of French teacher when I wear stripes...which is a lot because I love them!

      Delete
  5. Love this pattern mixing! That skirt is so cute! And I want one of the JCrew tees, or maybe all of them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I wouldn't be upset if every single one of them wound up in my closet :)

      Delete
  6. We are both wearing polka sot skirts today! :) Yours looks so cute with your adorable striped top. Thanks for the French lesson, too. :)

    Jennie@http://apocketfulofpolkadots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't polka dots the best!? I can tell you agree :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks! Unfortunately, we still have a week and a half of school left! I'm just aching to sleep-in, drink coffee in a leisurely manner and lounge by the pool! What about you, are you done for the year yet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really like the pattern mixing, Whitney! p.s. I'm secretly jealous because you speak {and teach} French!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I do have a pretty fun job...although it's not as glamorous as it sounds :)

      Delete
  9. Very cute look! My neighbors are French and I adore them... I've picked up a few things from them here and there.
    Thanks for stopping by Perspective. You should totally link this up to my Sunday post!
    Carolyn
    http://www.ccmcafeeperspective.com/2014/06/wiw-to-church-sunday-linkup.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous! I wish I had French neighbors I could speak French with! And I will definitely check-out your link-up!

      Delete
  10. that is such a lovely words to have on a tee! such a cute outfit. i am loving the 2nd tshirt example too.. i think i may *need* that!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe J.Crew should just send one to each blogger :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginny! I wish I had every.single.one!

      Delete
  12. You are ever adorable Whit!! Your Graphic Tee is so cute and perfect for you. I adore that skirt, too. This is such a Whitney Outfit and that is a compliment!! I agree that J.Crew should send one out to every blogger - wouldn't that be nice! LOL

    Thanks so much for linking up, pretty girl. Happy Hump Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much! I love that I nailed a "Whitney Outfit." Sometimes I find it hard to define my style or I wonder if I actually have a clear style...so I'm glad that it appears so to others!

      Delete
  13. So glad you get to do what you love and wear fun shirts. :) Thanks for linking up!

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  14. THIS OUTFIT IS JUST SO CUTE. You are adorable. Love love love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks friend! I hope you are having another great week at camp!

      Delete