Jun 13, 2018

A Day in the Life: Teacher Edition


I've always wanted to do one of these Day in the Life posts.  And since I'm wrapping-up the school year as well as my teaching career, I thought that it would be a good time to do one!  Once I've found my new career path, I will be able to look back at this post and remember what each of my days as Mademoiselle Rantz looked like.


5:00 My first alarm goes-off and I hit snooze several times before getting-up.  At the end of the school year, my getting-ready-routine is pretty minimal.  I spend about 45 minutes freshening-up, putting my make-up on, doing my hair, getting dressed and packing my lunch for the day.


6:00 I kiss Justin and the cats goodbye and hop-in my Forester for the hour-long drive to work.  I'm so thankful that I upgraded from my 2001 Honda Civic this past fall in order to survive the commute this year (especially during the winter).



7:15 I arrive at the first of my two schools a little bit before school starts at 7:30.  I teach two sections of French 1 at the High School so I'm here until about 9:30.  Today my students are studying for their exams using Quizlet on the school's Chromebooks so I have some time to work-on end-of-the-year grading.


9:36 2nd Hour ends and I head to the Junior High.  Lots of teachers don't like traveling jobs but I didn't mind this one.  I enjoy the opportunity to get out of the building, fill-up my gas tank and occasionally grab a special coffee drink.  When I arrive at the Junior High, I'm in the middle of my planning hour.  I spend the rest of my free time checking e-mails, making copies and giving myself a little breather before students show-up again.


10:40 My first group of Junior High students arrive!  At the Junior High, I teach two sections of 8th grade French 1 and one section of 7th grade Introduction to French.  Plus, I have a quick half-hour lunch (eaten at my desk) squeezed in the middle of my 4th Hour!  My French 1 students continue to prepare for their exams while my Intro students actually take the first half of their exam this afternoon!


3:00 After wrapping-up the school day, I spend another hour in the car headed back to Grand Rapids.  I've survived my commute this year by mixing-up what I listen to along the way.  I rotate between music, podcasts and audiobooks.  I even have an audiobook club with a friend who also commutes!  We are currently listening to the YA novel, One of Us is Lying.  I highly recommend it!


4:15 I try to stay active once I get home.  If I sit down on the couch, it's all over and I'll end-up napping!  Three times I week I head to the gym for a run.  Today I ran a quick (for me) five miles!


8:00 Justin and I attempt to accomplish all of our tasks -- whether it be going to the gym (and showering), doing graduate school work, playing Ultimate Frisbee, blogging or cleaning -- before making dinner together.  Sometimes I do more of the cooking, sometimes Justin does.  Tonight was a team effort!  We made potato bowls with baked potatoes, frozen broccoli and fried eggs.



9:00 It's wind-down time at our house!  After cleaning-up dinner we might watch a little Netflix, read, or do some wedding planning.  Honestly, it's one of those periods of time when sometimes I don't really know what we do to pass the minutes.  Somehow it ends-up bedtime!


10:00 Before falling asleep, I like to spend a little bit of time reading.  Although I do admit to sometimes spending too much time scrolling through my phone and falling asleep before I even get to my books.  Either way, most nights Justin and I fall asleep together with the two cats curled at the bottom of the bed!



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment