May 5, 2014

Creative Layering


Ahhh, the weather is finally warming-up and it's time to pull-out my favorite maxi dress!  I know that maxi dresses have been all the rage for a few summers now and it looks like this one will be no different.  Unfortunately, despite the millions of maxis for sale, I have the hardest time finding ones that are flattering on me (strange, I know).  Except for this dress that I purchased last summer...I absolutely love it!

From reading other style blogs, I know that a great way to remix dresses is to start layering!  You can layer a shirt or skirt over a dress to create a separates look.  While I know this makes sense and is an easy way to create more looks out of what you already own, I was hesitant to try it with this dress because I love it so much!  Does that sound weird?  The fit is so flattering that I didn't want to mess with the lines but adding a layer on top.



However, I attended a wine festival last weekend and the weather wasn't quite warm enough to go sleeveless but it was too warm for the denim jacket that I had planned to wear.  What's a girl to do but try a little bit of creative layering?!  And you know what, I liked it!  Granted, I don't love this look as much as I like the dress on its own, but I like it enough to wear it again!


Which look do you prefer?  Would you ever layer a shirt over a dress?

What I'm Wearing:
T-shirt: Gap (similar)
Dress: Banana Republic Outlet (similar, similar)
Necklace: LOFT (similar, similar)
Wedges: DSW (exact)

Linking-Up:
Basic Training Corporate Style- Fashionably Employed
DC in Style- Monday Bloom
Fizz and Frosting- Mix It Monday
Greater Than Rubies- Remix, Rewear, Restyle: Spring Layers
Style Elixir- Style Sessions
The Style Records- Monday Must Haves
Bookmark and Share

26 comments:

  1. This dress is gorgeous! I love it on it's own but layering it with the tee really works too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inge! It's one of my favorite pieces!

      Delete
  2. You look absolutely beautiful :) love that dress:)
    Have a lovely week hugs Beata

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! Have a wonderful week, yourself!

      Delete
  3. Oh, cute! I love when a dress looks amazing as a skirt! I didn't even know until I saw how you remixed it! love it!

    Rachel's Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you couldn't actually tell. I feel a little self conscious about this layering attempt and I feel better since you think it worked!

      Delete
  4. Very cute layering, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always forgetting about the concept of wearing a top on top of a dress and making the dress look like a skirt. Thanks for that one. yay! Ya, I think I just might be doing the au naturale on the hair thing. Stay tuned. ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not something I think of regularly either. It's definitely a fun option if you can get it to look right :) And I know that you will rock whatever 'do you choose!

      Delete
  6. What a fun print on that dress! I've worn a tee over a dress like this before, and I liked how it turned out-- cute, just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! I'll have to look to your blog for some inspiration because I'm still not entirely sold on this layering option. I really like how it turned out here but I'm not sure how to make it work with my other pieces.

      Delete
  7. I have never tried layering a tee over a maxi dress before - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! You always look SO put together. I would love to see your interpretation of the tee over a maxi :)

      Delete
  8. This is a great dress, Whitney. I love black & grey together {almost always} & this print is fantastic. I honestly have not thought about a shirt over a dress but I love the pink top with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! I love everything about this dress :) I agree that the print is really fun...it's almost animal-like without actually being animal print.

      Delete
  9. The pink top over the dress is my favorite. That pattern is so versatile—great choice!

    Colour Me Classic

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fun skirt! love the fun print on it!
    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelsey! I've found the print and the colors to be really versatile!

      Delete
  11. I stopped by your blog yesterday, saw this lovely outfit and pinned it right away. I didn't have time for much else. But I could swear it was a Skirt. I have read every post of yours and now I remember that this is a dress - a great dress too. I love all 3 looks you have done with it. The Hot Pink tee looked like it's meant to be! (That rhymed lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are really just the sweetest! I'm glad that I actually pulled-off the whole dress as a skirt thing. I really wan't sure if it was going to work!

      Delete
  12. I love the different ways you styled this dress, Whitney. So versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great look! I've always liked the idea of layering a T over a dress, but I have a hard time making it work on me. It looks great the way you did it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Just keep trying...this is the first time that I actually got it to look right!

      Delete