May 14, 2014

Nautical


Yep, I'm wearing this dress again.  I meant it when I said that I grab it every time I'm standing, clueless, in front of my closet.  Admittedly I wouldn't usually feature it twice in a row on my blog, but I wore it recently in this nautically-inspired outfit...and I wanted to participate in Andi and Laura's "Nautical Week" link-up today!

Nautical is a popular look right now and is perfect as we transition into summer with dreams of relaxing on a boat with the wind blowing through our hair.  Okay, maybe not the wind part as I will wind-up with a tangled puffball as a hairdo.  Anyways, nautical is pretty trendy right now.  I think that "nautical" can be pretty widely interpreted but here are a few style concepts that I associate with this trend: the color navy, anchor prints, boat shoes, and stripes.



These striped, espadrille flats are, to me, what makes this outfit nautical.  I picked them up on clearance for five dollars (!!) on a recent trip to Target.  They are so cute and comfy.  I have a feeling that these flats are going to be favorites this summer.


So, favorite basic dress + striped espadrilles = the foundation of this outfit.  The day I wore this, the weather was a little bit too chilly for a short-sleeved dress.  So, I decided to wear an open chambray for a little bit of extra warmth.  An open chambray is a great alternative when a denim jacket is too heavy!  The belt was a last minute detail because I thought it made the outfit a little bit more nautically.

Here are a few fun nautical pieces that I've found.  Are you on board (pun intended) with the nautical trend?


What I'm Wearing:
Dress: Gap (similar, similar)
Chambray: Old Navy (similar, similar
Belt: Francesca's (similar, similar)
Shoes: Target (exact)

Linking-Up:
Because Shanna Said So- Random Wednesday
Just Another Smith and I Do DeClaire- Nautical Week
Bookmark and Share

20 comments:

  1. I love these shoes! Definitely very nautical =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inge! I can't stop wearing them! Looks like I'll be going nautical all summer!

      Delete
  2. Definitely no shame in wearing that dress a lot - it's so pretty and it really does make a great foundational piece for any outfit. I have a black dress that is the same way - I throw it on anytime that I don't know what to wear. I am so thankful for pieces like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! I actually think I should make it a goal to have more pieces like this dress in my closet. Can you imagine loving everything as much as you love your black dress?

      Delete
  3. You know I love this dress and cannot mind seeing it two days in a row. I cannot wait till you see mine which is the same fit and flare shape with red+white stripes. Your shoes are the cutest.

    Love all the items you chose too, especially both pairs of Sperrys. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm glad you aren't sick of it yet...because I certainly am not. Haha. And I LOVE stripes so I can't wait to see your new dress!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's actually just an open chambray shirt. You gotta love when pieces do double duty!

      Delete
  5. You rock that gray dress so hard every time you wear it. I love how you've found ways to remix it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I'm sure you haven't seen the last of it yet!

      Delete
  6. It's nice to have a few pieces that are easy to grab on those indecisive days! I am fully onboard the nautical ship (obviously!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too punny. Hahaha. Oh dear, I'm such a nerd!

      Delete
  7. I like the cat toy in the background best of all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. You would be the one to notice the cat toy :)

      Delete
  8. haha, love the little wit from Whit at the end there. (YES. See what I did there?) Anyway, I actually wore my gray dress a few days after I read your last post featuring this gray dress. I then wondered why I don't wear the dress more often. Thanks for the inspiration! I am in the market for some striped flats; I love the colors in yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, you continue to crack me up! Isn't it funny how we get stuck on certain items. I will be looking for your grey dress on your blog soon ;)

      Delete
  9. I would totally wear that dress every day. Love it! And cute idea to pair with an open chambray shirt. Can't go wrong with chambray either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! You're right...you can't go wrong with the classics!

      Delete
  10. Those shoes are adorable! I can't believe they were $5!! I need to try my chambray unbuttoned over a dress or top like you did. It turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I just wrote another post about these shoes...I just love them so much! They are so comfy and I would totally recommend them!

      Delete