Jul 8, 2014

Kimonos and Clothing Advice

When I noticed several of my favorite style bloggers sporting kimonos this spring, I wasn't sure if I was trendy enough to pull-off the look.  However, trendy or not, I decided that I love how feminine and floaty a floral kimono can look and I decided to give one a try.  I waited several months to purchase one because I was looking for the perfect kimono that I had imagined.  It's a good thing I had birthday money to spend when I came across this lovely little number!

What is that one random curl doing in the middle of my forehead?

Now, I'm not going to lie.  Other bloggers have said that kimonos are a great layering piece for summer weather because they are so light-weight.  I agree that they are light-weight but if your summer weather is anything like my summer weather, the least amount of clothing touching your skin, the better.  For this reason, I've only worn this ensemble to happy hour with some girlfriends.  This expedition involved hopping from an air conditioned car to an air conditioned restaurant.  However, I am looking forward to taking my kimono to Michigan in a couple of weeks where the temperature is a bit more moderate.



And on to my next topic of conversation: I need some clothing advice.  You may have gleaned from my most recent budget post, that I had a lot of fun shopping with my birthday money and wasn't too much concerned with shopping for staples.  As a result, I now have enough fun items to get me through the summer and really into the fall.  I want to spend my next quarterly budget (July-September) a bit more mindfully.  I have come-up with a list of things that I have been wanting or needing for awhile that are going to be the focus of my shopping trips (although, let's face it, if a cute ASOS dress pops up, I might  throw it in there for good measure).

1.  A denim vest: I wanted a denim vest last summer but never found quite the right one.  This summer I again find myself wishing I had one in my closet.  I think it would be a great layering piece to add interest when it is SO hot outside.
2.  Dress pants: I love my pairs of trouser pants for work, but in looking at my outfit pictures from this school year, I feel like the pants are a bit out-dated.  I would like a few pairs in various colors with more of a skinny leg (but not too skinny...I don't want to give those high school boys a show!).  I have been looking for these for awhile and haven't been able to find any that are flattering on me.
3.  Jeans: Like with the dress pants, I am constantly on the look-out for jeans I actually like.  Although I think I need to get a little bit more serious about this search.  I would like some comfortable pairs of skinny jeans and perhaps a pair of boyfriend jeans.
4.  Purse options: I am woefully unprepared when it comes to my purse collection.  I have a few that I absolutely love and carry for an entire season.  I'm fine with this way of doing things for the most part but sometimes I find myself thinking, "If only I had the perfect clutch for this occasion."  I want to find a few bags that will spice-up my outfits.

So here is what I need from you, fashionable friends: advice on any of these items!  You have the perfect denim vest...where did you find it?  What is your favorite fit for dress pants?  You got your favorite jeans where?  Do you have a go-to retailer for fun purses?  Thank you in advance for all of your help and I will keep you posted on my progress when I write my budget posts!

An attempt at creative posing.

What I'm Wearing:
Kimono: Shop Ruche (exact)
T-Shirt: Everlane (exact)
Jeans: LOFT (exact)
Flats: Hand-Me-Downs (similar, similar)

Linking-Up:
Because Shanna Said So- Random Wednesday
DC In Style- Monday Bloom
I do deClaire- Confident TWOsday
The Modern Austen- Sunday Best
Style Elixir- Style Sessions
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment