Nov 10, 2016

Guest Post: Alex of The Cheerful Closet

Ni hao!  As you read this, I'm on a grand adventure in Beijing, China.  Don't worry, I will tell you all about it when I get back!  But for now, please enjoy the company of some of my best blogging friends who have generously agreed to guest post while I'm traveling.

Hello! My name is Alex, and I blog over at The Cheerful Closet. Whitney has been my "blogging bestie" since I started blogging, so you may recognize me from our Blogging Bestie series and a few other past collaborations. I am here today to guest post for Whitney while she is in China (jealous!!!) 

So, without further ado, I'd like to share with you my favorite fashion tip. I am a huge fan of colorful, playful prints, but they can sometimes be difficult to accessorize, because I don't want to be too "loud." So, when I wear an attention-getting print, my strategy for accessorizing it is to pull out different colors from the pattern and match my accessories to them. You can pull out just one color and wear all accessories in that color (especially if you have a really wide collection of accessories, or if you're wanting to keep it really subdued.) But I usually like to mix it up, because it looks fun and because I don't have a million accessories in every color. For this outfit, I found that I had a necklace, vest, and flats all in colors that matched colors from the dress! (The lighting suggests otherwise, but the flats and the green in the dress are almost an exact match.)

This tip is an instant way to look put-together and pair pieces you might never have thought to put together! I didn't realize the necklace and shoes worked with this dress until I literally put them right next to each other and saw that they matched. Here, I used a vest, necklace, and flats, but here are some other suggestions for accessories to color-match to patterned pieces:
  • Jewelry: Bracelets, rings, earrings
  • Outerwear: blazers, cardigans, casual jackets
  • Footwear: socks, tights, shoe clips
  • Other accessories: scarves, belts
I always forget how many options I have, but typing out that list is really getting my brain working on how to accessorize old pieces and make them look fresh! 





Dress: Old Navy (similarsimilarsimilar)
Vest: Old Navy (similarsimilarsimilar)
Flats: Old Navy (similarsimilarsimilar)
Necklace: thrifted via Plato's Closet (similarsimilarsimilar)

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment