Jan 15, 2018

Resolutions: Intuitive Eating and Running Races

Do you make New Year's Resolutions?  It seems like there has been a lot of buzz in the blogging world this year about making goals instead of resolutions.  In a way, it seems like we're just giving resolutions a new label but I do see one rather nuanced difference.  I think that goals are more definable, they are actionable whereas resolutions might be a bit vague.  Although you can set actionable goals to your resolutions and voilà, we have the same thing!

When creating resolutions or goals for myself this year I definitely went at it from the perspective of setting-up things I could actually do as opposed to an undefined wish.  Every year it seems that my resolution is to lose weight, but this year I'm focusing on my health in more specific ways.  I'm also calling these things resolutions because it's January, but really these are goals and concepts that I've been thinking about for a few months now.


Resolution #1: Intuitive Eating

I tend to have two modes when it comes to eating:

Mode #1: Be on a strict diet, follow rules very closely and lose weight.
Mode #2: Eat all the things and gain weight.

I so very badly want to fall somewhere in the middle.  I don't want to constantly be thinking about weight loss, diets and calories.  But I also don't want to be binging unhealthily and gaining weight.  That's where a concept called Intuitive Eating comes into play.  At it's core, Intuitive Eating is about eating when you're hungry, stopping when you're full and eating what your body feels it needs.

I am at the very beginning of this Intuitive Eating journey.  And it is a journey!  There is so much to learn and you really have to reset your way of thinking about food.  I've found some really helpful resources to help me along this path and am thinking about chronicling my journey here at Whitney à la mode.  What do you think?  Are you interested in learning along with me?


Resolution #2: Running Races

This past year (with the help of my boyfriend) I went from being a non-runner to having finished eight 5k races.  I'm so proud of the progress that I've made but I have so many more running goals that I want to accomplish!

This year my running resolutions are two-fold.  First of all, I want to run at least twelve races this year.  I've already signed-up for my first two!  A Frostbite 5k in a couple of weeks and an Irish Jig 5k in March.

My second running goal this year is to finish my first (and hopefully not last) 10k.  I've already signed-up for one in May and have started my training schedule.  This is also something I'm thinking about blogging in hopes that I can help other non-runners to see that yes, you can do this!  Let me know if you are interested!

Make sure you stop by and visit the other Blended Bloggers today to learn about their goals and resolutions.  Also, link-up your own with us today so we can form a nice, big support group for one another!




Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment