Nov 4, 2016

Blogging Besties: A Thrifted Item

Blogging Besties is a weekly series featuring Whitney of Whitney à la mode, Alex of Undergraduate Style, Maricel of ::My Closet Catalogue:: and Selah of A Bibliophile’s Style. Each week, one of the bloggers will choose one component from the previous week’s outfit to pass on in a brand new look. This “take one, pass it on” challenge is an inspiration to stretch your closet and your imagination!
  Last week, Alex made me drool over her TARDIS blue dress and striped cardi ensemble.

45d23-blue-dress-3
 

Sadly, she didn't leave me with the color blue as a challenge option. This week is brought to you by: “structured jacket, stripes, something thrifted, or loafers". And for your viewing pleasure, I give you: something thrifted.

image-2
 

 As you may recall, I have been making a concentrated effort to shop more sustainably. A pleasant by-product of this decision is that it has helped me cut down my spending considerably and has made me more discriminate in my choices when I do spend. An unpleasant by-product, however, is that I've limited my shopping resources, having no immediately available thrift stores in my area. Is it any wonder, then, that I have to resort to online purchasing? Thank goodness for Poshmark and eBay for allowing me to be ecologically and ethically (for the most part) responsible. Today's ensemble is brought to you by Poshmark. Bless you, Poshmark! Because only on Posh would I be able to find, let alone afford, a fabulous, gently-used 100% wool skirt from the Gap and a lovely silk blouse from Valerie Stevens for pennies. Pennies, I tell ya! (Btw, did you all know that Valerie Stevens is primarily a Midwest/North Atlantic clothing brand? No wonder I feel particularly unique wearing this top. I don't think I'd be able to find anything quite as fun - the mini wing collar! the fantastic pin tucks! - in my neck of the woods.)

image-3
 

 I played a bit with the librarian vibe by throwing on a layering piece from Merona (not thrifted but purchased from the sale rack; that counts, right?) and wore my sensible shoes to boot (see what I did there?). If I were so inclined or had the weather turned, I could've easily taken off the cardi and the outfit looks just as fab without it.

image-4
 


 For Selah’s turn next week, I challenge her to the following: polka dots, neutrals, or something sensible. Vive le vendredi!

:: Just the facts, ma’am :: Top - Valerie Stevens via Poshmark Skirt – Gap via Poshmark Cardigan - Merona @ Target Pumps – Payless
:: Scream it from the top of your lungs :: O, Holy Night by Nat King Cole
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment