Apr 15, 2019

My Top Five Michigan Races

Over the last couple of years, I've mentioned running more and more on the blog.  It's a hobby that I now feel passionate about but didn't at all see coming.  Two years ago I couldn't even run a mile, now I'm training for a half marathon!

In the time that I've grown to enjoy running, I've participated in a bunch of Michigan races.  It's a weekend activity that Justin and I like to do together (and by together, I mean he runs way ahead of me and then celebrates at the finish line with me).  I've run so many enjoyable races that I had a hard time narrowing this list down to my top five.  But if you live in Michigan (or are visiting), these are the races I most recommend running in the mitten state!


1.  Bayshore Marathon/Half Marathon/10k: Okay, so the fact that Justin proposed on this race course definitely helps it jump to my number one spot!  But aside from engagement rings and fiancés, much of this race stretches along the coastline of the Old Mission Peninsula with beautiful views of the bay.  The race is held on the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend so the weather is usually mild and there is a celebratory feeling in the air. 


2.  MSU Federal Credit Union Dino Dash: In my opinion, Michigan State's campus is one of the most beautiful places to be -- especially during the fall!  So running 3.1 miles through campus on a crisp October morning is a true pleasure! 



3.  Bier Distillery 5k: If you like scenic nature runs or delicious cocktails (or perhaps both), this is a fantastic race!  The route takes you along the White Pine Trail (one of my favorite places to train) and you get a cocktail made with in-house spirits when you finish.  This race is coming-up in a few weeks.  See you there?



4.  Lake Michigan Credit Union Bridge Run: This race really showcases downtown Grand Rapids!  You run right through the heart of the city and get to cross a few of the big bridges.  The race takes place during September, so the weather is great for running!



5.  Reeds Lake Trail Blazer: What better way to kick-off your 4th of July celebration than with a 5k?  Justin and I ran this race together during our first summer together and decided that we want to create the tradition of running it every year.  Running through beautifully manicured East Grand Rapids surrounded by families celebrating the holiday is lots of fun!

If you're a runner, tell me about your favorite races!
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment