May 19, 2016

Happy


It is with a heavy heart that I write this post and I'm not sure that I have the right words to express my feelings.  You may already be wondering why I've titled this post Happy and I hope that you will read until the end to find out.

A little over one week ago, my Grandpa Emery passed away peacefully at the age of 92.

If you have to go, and everyone does eventually, he really left us in the best way possible.  On Tuesday evening the doctors told us that we had about twelve hours left with grandpa.  This gave us time to prepare our hearts for his passing.  Grandpa fell asleep Tuesday night and did not wake-up in the morning.  My dad and grandma were with him as he departed.

While I feel a sense of peace because I know my grandpa is resting comfortably in heaven.  I still miss him a lot.  Grandpa Emery was a truly wonderful man.  He brightened the lives of all he met.  And he loved meeting people!

His outgoing and friendly personality are the highlight of my favorite memory about grandpa.  When I was in high school, any time my grandpa was out and about and would see another teenager wearing Lakeshore High School apparel, my grandpa would start a conversation and ask if the student knew either my sister or me.  This was particularly embarrassing when a cute upperclassman would approach me at school the following day to tell me he met my grandpa!  While embarrassing at the time, this is now a fond and happy memory.  The truth is, Grandpa was always extremely proud and loving of his grandchildren.  I am lucky to have had him always in my corner for my first thirty years.

It's funny, I don't remember my grandpa ever being upset or in a bad mood.  He was always happy.  In memory of this cheerful and loving man, I would like to spread more happy into the world and I'm hoping that you can help!

For the next week, will you help me honor my grandpa by performing random acts of kindness towards others?  I've already purchased coffee for the person behind me in the drive-through and have made it a point to compliment at least one student an hour for something I wouldn't otherwise acknowledge.  There are so many ways that we can make this world a happier place!  Will you help me?

Until we meet again, Grandpa Emery, I love you.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment