Oct 11, 2015

Create28: Colored and Patterned Bottoms

For more years than I care to remember the bottoms of color in my wardrobe were black and grey. I don't think that qualifies as much color, do you? Once I started blogging and seeing colorful and patterned bottoms I started to consider the idea of stepping outside of my comfort zone. Now I own a few bottoms that extend the remixing options of my wardrobe. If you have restricted yourself to black and grey like I did, then it might be time to rethink that idea. Try a baby step of a neutral color that combines with what you have so you don't have to create a whole new wardrobe. Maybe think down the lines of olive or burgundy for this fall season. I have both of those colors and when I'm in a bind I reach for them because I know they will easily combine with a striped, polka dot, print or another neutral top or sweater. Alright for today I'm showing a new look or two and then I'm going to add some blasts from the past. {Okay, truthfully not that distant past only 2014}.

patterned bottoms+chambray

patterned bottoms

Tweed is a classic pattern and I adore it. This type of skirt is one that will mix and remix over and over because of the colors that blend nicely with it and its ability to be dressed up or down. I featured it earlier this season in a post about essential handbags, which you can read here. I have featured these looks with patterned and colored bottoms previously. The center look was from this post and the look on the far right can be found here.
patterned+colored skirts
 
Something that I try to do when I'm following a prompt or just creating a look is determine if I can extend part of the look in another way. For example, for the first two skirt looks I featured, I realize that a denim or chambray blouse has endless possibilities so I moved on and thought about the cami and sweater option. Which bottoms in my wardrobe might mix with those colors? I thought I would take a little risk and try this look.

colored bottoms

Do I like this look? Would I wear this look? Honestly, probably not! I like the inspiration of colors, which really stemmed from my two posts last week. They are here and here. I was inspired to try something new based on the mustard color and the purple cardigan. Friends, not all looks that you try will work and you won't wear them all but that's part of creating and determining your style love. Here's what I came up with in the past that I do love!

bottoms

I featured the camo in summer but they will be restyled for fall and winter. {Love those kinds of pieces}. As I mentioned earlier, olive is great color to try for bottoms. Houndstooth is another favorite pattern of mine and I wore these tons of times last fall and winter. Here's the previous posts in picture order here, here and here, if you'd like to read them. How about a little more inspiration? Here's a board from Pinterest with lots of ideas on how to style patterned or colored bottoms.


We hope you'll join us tomorrow when we all will be styling a trend. Our weekly linkup will also be live on Monday and we hope to see lots of great looks {as we do every week}!

Create28 Collage

Where you'll find me linking up.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment